'Something Close To Genocide' - US Adviser on China's Treatment of Muslims
The Deciport Daily Quick-Look: 17 October 2020
FILE PHOTO: National Security adviser Robert O'Brien speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington, US, September 4, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File Photo
China's Uighur 'Concentration Camps' in Xinjiang region.
Security, Political // BLUF: The US National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien has commented that China's treatment of Uighur Muslims in the Xinjiang region is 'close to genocide'.
“If not a genocide, something close to it going on in Xinjiang,” said O’Brien.
The UN estimates that more than a million Muslims have been detained in Xianjing, with the detained reportedly kept in camps. Beijing has denied abuses at the camps and claims they are for vocational training and to help combat extremism.
(See Point 1 Below for Further Information)
The Daily Quick-Look for 17 October 2020
The Deciport Daily Quick-Look is your at-a-glance look at several key events and situations around the world over the last 24 hours. Each headline contains the link to its source report.
BLUF = Bottom Line Up Front.
FYSA = For Your Situational Awareness.
1. UNITED STATES, CHINA - Security, Political: 'Something close' to genocide in China's Xinjiang, says U.S. security adviser
FYSA: The U.S. national security adviser said on Friday that China was perpetrating “something close to” a genocide with its treatment of Muslims in its Xinjiang region. “If not a genocide, something close to it going on in Xinjiang,” Robert O’Brien told an online event hosted by the Aspen Institute, while highlighting other Chinese crackdowns including one on Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement. The United States has denounced China’s treatment of Uighur and other minority Muslims in Xinjiang and imposed sanctions on officials it blames for abuses. It has not, though, so far termed Beijing’s actions genocide, a designation that would have significant legal implications and require stronger action against China. The United Nations estimates that more than a million Muslims have been detained in Xinjiang and activists say crimes against humanity and genocide are taking place there. China has denied any abuses and says its camps in the region provide vocational training and help fight extremism. O’Brien referred to seizures by U.S. customs of “massive numbers” of hair products made with human hair from Xinjiang. “The Chinese are literally shaving the heads of Uighur women and making hair products and sending them to the United States,” he said. (Reuters. See link in heading for further reading)
2. FRANCE - Security, Political: Teacher knifed to death in France after showing class cartoons of Prophet Mohammad
FYSA: A man knifed to death a middle school history teacher in France who had shown his pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad that Muslims consider to be blasphemous, French officials said on Friday. The attacker was shot dead by a police patrol a few streets away from the scene of the attack late on Friday afternoon, in a residential suburb north-west of Paris. “One of our fellow citizens was assassinated today because he was teaching, he was teaching pupils about freedom of expression,” French President Emmanuel Macron told reporters at the scene of the attack. “Our compatriot was flagrantly attacked, was the victim of an Islamist terrorist attack,” Macron said. The incident carried echoes of the attack five years ago on the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo. It published caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed, unleashing divisions that are still casting a pall over French society. The victim of Friday’s attack sustained multiple knife wounds to the neck, according to a police representative. One law enforcement source said the teacher had been beheaded in the attack.(News.com.au. See link in heading for further reading)
3. AUSTRALIA - Security (Travel, Health): Travellers from New Zealand caught at Melbourne Airport on day one of trans-Tasman bubble
FYSA: More than a dozen travellers from New Zealand have been caught at Melbourne Airport after arriving via Sydney. The 17 passengers had landed in Australia on Friday as part of the first group of trans-Tasman travellers. From Sydney, they then allegedly caught a connecting flight to Melbourne, which is not accepting travellers as part of the bubble. In a statement released late on Friday night, Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services said its authorised officers do not have legal authority to detain the travellers. It is unclear where the travellers are now. “Victoria has not agreed to a travel bubble arrangement with New Zealand and did not expect to receive international travellers as a result of NSW making that arrangement,” the DHHS statement said. “The Victorian Government has made it clear to the Commonwealth that we expect NZ passengers who have not undertaken quarantine will not be permitted to board flights in Sydney bound for Melbourne.” The DHHS has been contacted for further comment. The Australian Borer Force declined to comment and said it was a matter for Victorian authorities. (SBS. See link in heading for further reading)
Sign up at the link below to get the Quick-Look straight to your inbox daily: https://bit.ly/2z15ztB For solutions to solve your Security and Intelligence problems, email us at email@example.com Take me to the Deciport Home Page The reporting period for this Daily Quick-Look is the previous 24 hours (unless stated otherwise). This Daily Quick-Look is comprised of reports from agencies around the world, and are referenced where possible. Deciport LLC is in no way associated with any agency listed. This Daily Quick-Look is for information purposes only. This Daily Quick-Look is not intended for planning purposes. The comments that comprise the 'Why It Matters' do not represent the opinions, viewpoints or assessment of the agency from which the linked source report originated, and is intended to add context for the reader as part of a summary.